Adarsh case: Governor can't be made party to lawsuits, Ashok Chavan told

Following this, the CBI re-approached the Governor seeking sanction, which was granted in February 2016.

Published: 21st June 2017 04:06 PM  |   Last Updated: 21st June 2017 06:34 PM   |  A+A-

Former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan (File | PTI)

By PTI

MUMBAI: The Bombay High Court today sought Congress leader Ashok Chavan's stand to the CBI's submission that the governor cannot be made respondent to his plea against the sanction to try him in the Adarsh housing society scam.

A division bench headed by Justice R V More gave this direction to Congress MP Chavan while hearing his plea against Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao's decision to grant sanction to the CBI to prosecute him in the scam.

Additional Solicitor General Anil Singh, appearing for the CBI, told the court today that the governor cannot be made a respondent personally in a petition.

"The petitioner (Chavan) will have to delete the Governor's name as respondent. The state government will have to be impleaded as respondent," Singh said.

The court then directed Chavan's counsel Amit Desai to reply to this argument by the CBI and posted the matter for further hearing on July 3.

In February last year, Governor Rao had granted sanction to the CBI to prosecute Chavan for committing cheating and other corruption offences besides hatching criminal conspiracy.

Chavan's petition termed the governor's order as "arbitrary, illegal and unjust" and passed without "proper application of mind" and with "malafide intentions."

The CBI had accused Chavan of approving additional floor space index for Adarsh society in lieu of two flats for his relatives. He was also charged with illegally approving, as the then revenue minister, allotment of 40 per cent of the flats to civilians in the high rise in posh Colaba.

While the CBI named him as an accused in its FIR, in December 2013 the then Governor K Sankaranarayanan had refused permission to it to prosecute Chavan in the scam.

The high court, however in March 2015, had dismissed a plea made by Chavan, a sitting Lok Sabha MP now from Nanded, for deletion of his name from the case, as the governor had refused to grant sanction.

Following this, the CBI re-approached the Governor seeking sanction, which was granted in February 2016.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp