CHANDIGARH: In a shocking incident, a one and half-year-old child died and thirty others were taken ill after they consumed Karah Parsad laced with intoxicant (Bhang) at Tek Bahadur Sahib Gurdwara in Guru Nanak Nagar locality of Batala town.
According to police, 40-year-old Paramjit Singh, who worked as Granthi (priest) of the Gurdwara, had mixed bhang powder in the Karah Parsad in order to defame the Gurdwara management committee after a tussle with them.
Reportedly, on Thursday 30 children from the locality, who had consumed the parsad, showed signs of acute food poisoning. One of them—one and half year old Baljit Singh —was admitted to the civil hospital following queasiness and he died moments after being admitted.
After the incident came to light, the police examined the CCTV footage of the Gurdwara and discovered that Paramjit Singh had mixed some substance in the parsad before giving it to the children.
According to sources, Paramjit Singh was arrested and he confessed to having committed the crime.
Reportedly, the priest is a repeat offender and was accused of stealing money from the golak of the Gurdwara four months ago. The management committee of the Gurdwara had warned him to mend his ways following the incident.
A case has been registered. The accused himself is an addict of bhang, said the official.
Meanwhile, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee (SGPC) has formed a four-member committee in this regard which will inquire into the incident.