Jat agitation postponed after talks with Haryana government 

Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar held talks with the agitating Jat leaders from the state on the quota issue ahead of their planned march to Parliament.

Published: 19th March 2017 06:12 PM  |   Last Updated: 19th March 2017 07:49 PM   |  A+A-

File photo of Jat protesters in New Delhi. (AFP)

By Express News Service

NEW DELHI: Governments at Centre, Haryana and Delhi heaved sigh of relief as Jats called off their quota agitation scheduled for Monday in Delhi.

The decision of Jat leaders came after a four-hour long meeting with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar and two union ministers Birender Singh and P P Chaudhary who are both Jats.

Keeping in mind the large scale protests on Monday, prohibitory orders had been clamped in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan to stop the Jat protesters from entering Delhi. About 24,700 paramilitary personnel had been mobilised to maintain peace. Metro and road transport has been curtailed and several schools have been closed in the national capital.

Emerging out of the meeting on Sunday evening, Haryana CM M L Khattar said, “Both, Centre and state will soon begin the process of giving reservation, following the Delhi High court order.” He also appealed to people in the state to cooperate in maintaining peace and harmony.

The CM was accompanied with All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS) chairperson Yashpal Malik.

“Jats are not coming to Delhi. We have called off our agitation and march towards Delhi. The state government has agreed to our demands," Malik said. He added that the community will call off its protest from most of the places in the state, barring few where it will continue with symbolic protests.

Besides quotas, the Jats have been demanding release of people jailed during last year's agitation, withdrawal of cases slapped during the protests and government jobs for the kin of those killed and injured while taking part in the stir. The Jats have been sitting on dharna in various parts of Haryana since January 29.

Union minister for law and justice said that the government will now work according to the law and will undertake a survey and check ground realities so that the decision that we finally take will stand in court. “The reservation process will expedite after appointment of National Commission of Backward Classes (NCBC) chairperson and we want to ensure reservation for the community which is not stuck anywhere due to legal issues".

Earlier, on March 16, a Haryana ministerial panel led by senior minister Ram Bilas Sharma had held talks with the Jats in Panipat. The minister had said that an agreement had been reached with the community and the deadlock could end soon.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp