Coordinating with Pakistan for safe return of Indian woman: MEA

Ministry's Spokesperson Gopal Baglay noted that the young Indian woman today recorded her statement in the Court of Judicial Magistrate in Islamabad, as per local legal requirement. 

Published: 08th May 2017 07:09 PM  |   Last Updated: 08th May 2017 07:09 PM   |  A+A-

MEA Spokesperson Gopal Baglay | ANI


NEW DELHI: India is coordinating with the Pakistan Foreign Office for the safe return of the woman who has alleged that she was sedated, tortured and forced to sign Nikah Nama at gunpoint in Pakistan, the External Affairs Ministry said today.     

The woman's brother met the external affairs minister and sought the government's help in rescuing his sister at the earliest, the ministry's Spokesperson Gopal Baglay said.     

He also noted that the young Indian woman, who had sought shelter in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad on May 5, today recorded her statement in the Court of Judicial Magistrate in Islamabad, as per local legal requirement.     

"In her statement, she said that she was sedated, assaulted, tortured mentally and physically in Pakistan by a Pakistani man who had met her in Malaysia, invited her to visit his family in Pakistan and provided the requisite sponsorship letter to the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi for her visa.     

"She also stated that the same man also made her sign Nikah Nama at gunpoint," the spokesperson said.     The woman stated that she had taken a shelter at the Indian High Commission of her own accord and would stay there till she is sent back to India.     

"The High Commission has provided her necessary consular and legal assistance. It is coordinating with Pakistan Foreign Office for the safe return of the lady to India and is also in touch with her family in India on the matter. Her brother met the external affairs minister and requested the government's help to rescue his sister at the earliest," he added.     

The woman, identified as Uzma, and the Pakistani national, Tahir Ali, reportedly met in Malaysia and fell in love after which she travelled to Pakistan on May 1 via the Wagah border. Their 'nikah' was solemnised on May 3.     

But the situation changed when they visited the Indian High Commission on Friday. Uzma went inside the building of the mission and did not return, according to her husband.     

Ali has filed a complaint with local police that she was detained against her will.     

Pakistan Foreign Office spokesman Nafees Zakaria had yesterday said that "the Indian High Commission informed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that an Indian national, Ms Uzma, 20, had approached them with the request to be repatriated to India."

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp