NEW DELHI: Even though fewer students have qualified in JEE (Advanced) this year, there will not be any impact on seat allocation, directors of 23 IITs concluded in a meeting called to discuss the results Wednesday. The Joint Seat Allocation Authority will begin the counselling process from June 15.
Abhay Karandikar, director of IIT Kanpur, said the low numbers of successful candidates was a result of an error-free exam and the concerns that seats will go vacant due to that were “unfounded”.
“Last year, 18 grace marks were awarded to all candidates due to some glitches which led to a higher number of students reaching the cut-off. The cut-off for the test is fixed and was declared months in advance. So, only those who have got the cut-off marks have been declared as qualified,” he told Express.
“Even as over 51,000 students qualified in 2017, the last round at which admission stopped was less than 14,000 and we have a pool of over 18,000 this year to fill the slots, so it should not be a problem,” Karandikar said.