Uttarakhand BJP MLA irks minority community by calling half his constituency ‘Pakistan’

The legislator made the comment when he was at Dhanori village in Roorkee on Monday after the construction of a road was completed.

Published: 09th October 2019 03:31 AM  |   Last Updated: 09th October 2019 10:18 AM   |  A+A-

BJP flags, BJP logo

Representational image of BJP (File Photo)

Express News Service

DEHRADUN: Bhartiya Janta Party MLA from Jwalapur state assembly constituency in Haridwar, Suresh Rathor, said that 52% area of his constituency is in ‘Pakistan’ while the rest of 48% is where he practices his political career.

The legislator made the comment when he was at Dhanori village in Roorkee on Monday after the construction of a road was completed.

The MLA, in a video, is heard saying, “Only 48% is the area where I need to work, rest of it is totally Pakistan,”

Invoking the name of a Hindu deity, he added that by god’s grace, the road was completed and is now ready for use.

Activists and members of the minority community condemned the MLA’s comments.

The MLA replying to queries related to his address said, “My words are being twisted and taken out of context.”

Danish Khan, a businessman from Haldwani said, “The statement is against the secular spirit of our constitution. Targeting minorities is uncalled for. Indian Muslim is a cherished identity and is we are as much a patriot as anyone else in this country.”

Shekhar Pathak, Nainital based activist said, “Such remarks hurt national integration. We, as a nation are multi-religion, multicultural people. No one is above the constitution and country.”

Taking a stand against ‘intolerance’

Shekhar Pathak earlier announced that he would return his Padma Shri alleging growing ‘intolerance’ in the country

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp