Tipsarevic Unlikely to Play in Chennai
By Krithika Gopalkrishnan | Published: 25th December 2013 01:37 AM |
Defending champion Janko Tipsarevic is unlikely to play at the upcoming Chennai Open, sources from the Serbian’s camp told TNIE on Tuesday. The world No 36, who beat Spaniard Roberto Bautista-Agut in last year’s final, will most likely be pulling out of the tournament owing to an injury. This might turn out to be a big blow for the tennis enthusiasts and organisers alike as the 29-year-old, who first played here in 2005, has not failed to compete in Chennai in the last five editions.
“Janko won’t play in Chennai due to his injury. He is yet to confirm with the organisers but the doctors have said that he would require at least one more week to recover. In the given circumstances, it’s highly unlikely that Janko would play at the Chennai Open,” the source said.
Tipsarevic last played in a competitive tournament in Valencia, where he was forced to retire in the first round due to a chronic heel injury. He was also ruled unfit to compete in the Davis Cup final against the Czech Republic in Belgrade last month.
Tipsarevic has been using Chennai Open as the perfect platform to get some match practise ahead of the Australian Open. His chances of playing at Melbourne Park are also doubtful. “It is not sure if he would be playing at the Australian Open. He would take a call just before the tournament. As of now, we cannot say anything for sure,” the source added.
Last month, Tipsarevic himself had revealed that he wasn’t sure of his participation at Australian Open. “Injury does not look great. I will try by all means not to go into surgery and I’m not 100 per cent sure that I will play Australian Open,” he was quoted as saying by a tennis website before going to Germany for treatment.