ADELAIDE, Australia: Mitchell Starc took three wickets for Australia until a right foot injury prevented him from bowling again in the first day-night test against New Zealand on Friday.
Starc, the team's form pace bowler, took 3-24 before hurting himself during his delivery stride late in the second session on the opening day at the Adelaide Oval.
He had an early stage stress fracture of the third metatarsal of his foot, Cricket Australia physiotherapist David Beakley said.
The Australians dismissed New Zealand for 202 and were 54-2 at stumps after an eventful first day. Cricket Australia said Starc wouldn't bowl again in the match but would likely bat if required.
"It's obviously very disappointing, he's bowling so well, he's been bowling well for a very long time," said recalled paceman Peter Siddle, who returned 2-54 to move his career tally to 200 test wickets. "Even in a bit of pain he can get the job done.
"We've got enough bowling in our lineup anyway to take the 10 more wickets needed, so we'll be fine."
Starc took on extra responsibility in Adelaide as the leader of the attack after the retirement last week of Mitchell Johnson. In the absence of two left-arm quicks, that responsibility will mainly fall on Siddle and offspinner Nathan Lyon, who also took two wickets on Friday. Siddle will have to share the new ball with Josh Hazlewood (3-66), who claimed the first wicket in a day-night test when he trapped Martin Guptill lbw in the fourth over and also took the first test wicket in a night session.
Trent Boult, who dismissed opener David Warner (1) in the fourth over of Australia's innings, said for the New Zealanders to prosper from Starc's absence, they'd have to quickly contain the Australia batsmen.
"It's not going to matter too much if we don't bowl too well," Boult said. "That's the focus."
Starc, who has delayed surgery on bone spurs in his right ankle to avoid a long layoff during the Australian summer, is at risk of missing the upcoming three-test series against the West Indies.