Two labourers die after drinking water from farm well in Andhra Pradesh's Vizianagaram
By Express News Service | Published: 03rd December 2017 10:57 PM |
VIZIANAGARAM: Two farmhands died and four others were admitted to hospital after they suddenly fell sick while loading freshly harvested paddy on to bullock carts at Kella village of Gurla mandal in Vizianagaram district on Saturday evening.
According to police, the labourers drank water from an open well nearby hours before they fell sick and they suspect that the water might be contaminated with pesticide. However, the exact reasons for the incident is yet to be ascertained, said Gurla sub-inspector Ravi.
Six farmhands from Kella and Buridipeta villages while loading paddy onto bullock carts had several bouts of vomitings and loose motions. The farmers working nearby rushed them to a hospital in Gurla, the police said.
With the condition of Namala Swami Naidu (45) from Kella village and Nakka Adi Narayana (35) from Badaripeta deteriorating, the doctors referred them to Vizianagaram district hospital. They died there while undergoing treatment. Four other sick labourers were admitted to the ICU of a private hospital in Vizianagaram. "Farm owner Kolukulu Surya Narayana who drank water from the same well also fell ill on Saturday and is undergoing treatment now. So, we suspect that from the water of the well is contaminated with pesticide. The revenue officials have collected the samples and sent to the laboratory for testing," said the SI. A case has been registered at Gurla police station.