Lockheed Martin starts ground work on Made in India F-16 fighters

Published: 08th November 2016 01:49 AM  |   Last Updated: 08th November 2016 03:23 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: United States based aircraft-maker Lockheed Martin that had offered to move its F-16 fighter aircraft production line from the US to India, has started the ground work with the hope that India would accept its offer.


The offer comes with a condition that India buys the fighter. “We want to be prepared and that is the reason we have started the ground work,’’ Abhay Paranjape, Director, Business Development, India, Lockheed Martin told Express.  “On Monday, we met representatives of 40 defense and aviation firms from across the country to discuss our offer on making F-16 in India,’’ Paranjape added.
Earlier this year, Lockheed Martin made an offer to India that it would shift its only F-16 aircraft production line to India provided, the Indian Air Force (IAF) buys the aircraft.


“We are offering to make F-16 Block 70, the most advanced aircraft in India. It is one of the most proven fighter aircraft in the world and is flown by air forces in 25 countries,’’ said Randall L Howard, who looks after F-16 Business Development.


The proposal of shifting the production line, works out for the US firm and also to Indian industries only if there are initial orders from the IAF. If the IAF buys 100 aircraft, it gives stability to the industry that will invest lot of money in various manufacturing units that support the production line, he said. “We make it in India, for India and then we make it in India and export to world. If the initial orders are not there, it may not work for the industry,’’ Randall added.


Though India has not yet responded to the offer, the top executives at Lockheed are hopeful that it will accept the offer. “The response has been positive. After we made an offer they asked us right questions. They are looking for single-engine fighter and we are offering one of the best aircraft, so we are confident that India will accept the offer,’’ said Paranjape. 


“They have sent letters to a few firms, including us (about acquiring single engine aircraft),’’ he said. 

Stay up to date on all the latest Karnataka news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp