THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: DGP Jacob Thomas has said he would rejoin the service on June 19 with his two-and-half-month long leave set to end on Saturday. He was briefing reporters after attending a programme at the DC School of Management and Technology at Kazhakoottam here on Sunday.
“It’s not right to abandon a mission midway.
The crusade against corruption will continue. Other things will be decided later,” Thomas said. He also said the government had not informed the position he would assume once he joins service next week. However, reports doing the rounds suggest Thomas may be a strong contender for the state police chief post as Senkumar’s tenure is set to end on June 30.
The government had asked Thomas to go on leave in March when he was the Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau director.
Later, the government appointed Loknath Behera as the Vigilance director after he stepped down as police chief when Senkumar got reinstated.
Meanwhile, Thomas also alleged there were serious flaws in the investigation of the Pattoor land case. “Biased investigation will affect the case by and large. The officers concerned have not taken any further step in this matter so far,” Thomas said.
Many influential persons, including former Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, are accused in the case.
Thomas was removed by the government following the High Court criticism against the Vigilance“for exceeding its powers”.
The High Court had even warned the government a ‘Vigilance Raj’ would come into existence if the anti-corruption agency was allowed to run its course.