No Funds for Drainage, Water-logging Looms

BHUBANESWAR: Even though the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) is busy renovating natural drains in the city, it is yet to receive the funds to increase the coverage for artificial drain

Published: 04th February 2012 03:18 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2012 05:49 PM   |  A+A-

BHUBANESWAR: Even though the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) is busy renovating natural drains in the city, it is yet to receive the funds to increase the coverage for artificial drains.

  Presently, the city has 10 natural drains. The artificial drainage coverage is about 450 kms. This covers up around 30 percent of the city. The rest 70 percent remains uncovered and prone to water logging during the monsoon.

  A detailed project report (DPR) was drawn by the Chief Engineer, Drainage of the Water Resource Department, two years back to increase the artificial drainage cover. The project cost was estimated at ` 537 crores. To cover the entire city, the drainage cover has to be around 1000 kms, only then will no ward be water-logged during the monsoons, said a BMC official.

 However, the BMC is yet to receive the funds for the project. They have received ` 70 lakhs from the Centre for the renovation of natural drains 1, 2, 3 and 4. Tenders for the renovation for the natural drains 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 have been floated. Drain number 10 will be renovated by the Bhubaneswar Development Authority (BDA).

  The BMC officials mentioned several reasons for the water-logging problem for the past few years. Recently, the level of Gangua drain’s bed has increased aggravating water-logging. Most of the rain water flows through this drain. The illegal private constructions over the natural and artificial drains are also aggravating the situation.

  The preparatory measure for the monsoon start two months prior to its arrival. The BMC officials hire pumps that are used to take out water out of water-logged areas. Control rooms are set up and the people call up the BMC in case of water logging.

   Not just the monsoons, but a proper drainage system will help tackle the unexpected rains, like the city witnessed last month.

Stay up to date on all the latest Odisha news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp