SALEPUR: More than 15 students of Utkal Gaurav Nodal Primary School at Birola in Lapanga gram panchayat here were taken ill after eating the mid-day meals served to them on Saturday.
While Rasmita Swain of Class 7, Om Prakash Khuntia of Class 3 and Basumati Behera of Class 6 were taken to Tangi Community Health Center (CHC), the others have been admitted to some private clinics. Doctors at Tangi health centre said it was a case of food poisoning.
According to reports, at least 100 students had consumed rice and egg curry in the school, which was prepared by members of Biswa Shakti self help group (SHG).
After eating the food, some students felt uneasy and started vomiting. Parents of some students, who visited the school after the incident came to fore, said that the food smelled like kerosene.
Block Education Officer, Pradipta Kumar Ratha, said of three students admitted to Tangi CHC, two were discharged by Saturday evening and one is undergoing treatment. An inquiry is on to find out the reasons behind food poisoning.
Man Arrested for Killing Wife
Niali police on Friday nabbed Ramesh Sahoo(37) of Ambapada village here for allegedly killing his wife and setting the body on fire in the backyard of his house.
He was produced in SDJM court on Saturday, which rejected his bail plea and remanded him in Choudwar Circle Jail.
Police said Sahoo was working as a mason and had married Sita of Barhagorada village under Nimapara police limits last year after his first wife died.
On Wednesday night following a feud between them, Sahoo beat Sita to death with a crowbar. He tried to burn the body in the backyard of his house with the help of wood and kerosene from the kitchen.
Smelling foul, villagers informed the police who rushed to the spot and seized the charred body. But Sahoo managed to escape till he was arrested from outskirts of the village on Friday night.