SALEPUR: As many as 15 families were rendered homeless in a fire at Kamalpur village in Jamara gram panchayat under Nischintakoili block on Friday. Over 35 rooms were gutted and property worth `70 lakh reduced to ashes.
The fire is reported to have started from a spark in the sagging overhead power supply lines. The sparks fell on the straw thatched houses and spread fast.
Two teams of firefighters from Korua and Nischintakoili put off the inferno after two hours.
Nischintakoili Tehsildar Debashis Patnaik said local revenue officials are enumerating the loss and steps are also being taken for their temporary rehabilitation.
Balangir: Nearly 40 houses were gutted after a fire broke out in Bandhpali village of Govindpur panchayat in Deogaon block.
Nearly 220 members of 71 families were affected. The reason of fire is yet to be ascertained.