VELLORE:Over 20 students, including five girl students, of the Thanthai Periyar Government Institute of Technology (TPGIT) at Thorapadi fell sick after consuming food in the college hostel on Friday. They were immediately taken to the CMC hospital and a private hospital here.
“After having chapathis and lemon rice served on Thursday night, many students fell sick. Several students vomitted,” said a final year student.
Meanwhile, the health department ordered a team of doctors and paramedical staff attached to the Primary Health Centre located in Oosur to put up a medical camp at the hostel to examine the students.
Food Safety Officer J Kolanji said that they have collected samples of water, atta, chilli and coriander powder from the hostel.
“We have sent the samples to the Food Analysis lab based at the King Institute campus in Guindy. We have asked them to test the samples for micro organism that causes food poisoning,” he said.
According to the students, the food served in the hostel is of poor quality. They also claim to have raised the issue with warden Anbukarasi several times, in the last six months, but in vain.
The students added that they have been paying around Rs 1,500 per month for food, but on several occasions in the past, they had preferred to starve rather than eat the food served in the hostel.