After 10 Years, Absconding IIM Grad Caught in Mumbai for Murder

Published: 23rd November 2015 03:59 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd November 2015 04:47 AM   |  A+A-

CHENNAI: Luck ran out for an IIM Delhi graduate, who jumped bail in a sensational 2005 murder case and fled the country, when he was arrested by the Tamil Nadu Railway Police upon his landing at the Mumbai airport.

Muthaiah Puvibalan from Madurai, now 38, was arrested at the Mumbai airport when he returned from Saudi Arabia on Monday last, GRP Superintendent of Police Vijay Kumar told Express here on Sunday.


According to the Railway Police, Muthaiah, along with two of his friends, were travelling to Madurai from Chennai on the Pandian Express in August 2005. The trio, who were travelling in the general compartment, were in an inebriated state when they picked up a quarrel with a woman senior citizen over sharing space.  When the train was between Melmaruvathur and Acharapakkam stations in Kancheepuram district, they allegedly pushed her out of the running train, resulting in her death. A case of murder was registered against the trio, but Muthaiah was released on bail in 2006. “Muthaiah jumped bail and moved to Saudi Arabia on his passport. When we came to know about this from his acquaintances and relatives, we obtained a look-out notice against him,” a Government Railway Police (GRP) official said. Muthiah moved to Dubai and took an onward flight to Saudi Arabia, sources said.

Even as the GRP was tracking his movements abroad, the Indian Embassy in Saudi Arabia tipped them off that Muthaiah had obtained a new passport. Immediately, all air and seaports were alerted with the new passport number, while the GRP was patiently waiting for his arrival in India.

“The accused was employed as a chemist in a private company abroad. We knew that he will land in India sooner or later,” the official added.

On November 16, when he flew down to the Mumbai airport, Muthaiah was detained by the Immigration officials there.

When the information reached Tamil Nadu, GRP officials rushed there and apprehended him. He was then remanded in judicial custody.

Interestingly, the other two accused in the case were acquitted after trial. Muthaiah Puvibalan will now face trial in a court at Chengalpattu.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp