Hollande: Will Destroy ISIS, Escalate Airstrikes in Syria

France has already launched its first set of airstrikes on Raqqa, the ISIS stronghold in Syria by dropping 20 bombs and taking out their camps and recruiting centres.

Published: 17th November 2015 04:01 PM  |   Last Updated: 17th November 2015 05:41 PM   |  A+A-

Hollande

French President Francois Hollande | AP Photo

By ANI

LONDON: Declaring a state of emergency for the next three months, French President Francois Hollande today swore to ‘destroy’ ISIS and will further intensify the airstrikes on them in Syria by sending a ‘Charles de Gaulle’ aircraft carrier packed with jets this week.

The Daily Mail reports that the President, while addressing a special congress of the joint upper and lower houses of parliament at the Palace of Versailles, said that France was at war against cowards, and not in a clash of civilisations, after militant attacks killed at least 129 people in and around Paris last week.

Related: Mass Police Mobilisation in France, 128 Raids Conducted

Hollande also called for a resolution by the United Nations Security Council to fight the ISIS leading to a coalition ground invasion.

For the next three months 1,500 additional troops will guard official buildings and religious sites and stricter controls at the country's borders will be enforces. Also, the army will stay on the streets.

'France is at war. No barbarians will prevent us from living how we have decided to live. To live fully. Terrorism will never destroy the republic, because the republic will destroy terrorism. We must do more. Syria has become the largest factory of terrorists the world has ever known,” President Hollande said.

France has already launched its first set of airstrikes on Raqqa, the ISIS stronghold in Syria by dropping 20 bombs and taking out their camps and recruiting centres, in a ‘merciless’ retribution for the 13/11 carnage in Paris. 

The police have conducted around 150 co-ordinated raids and several suspects have been rounded up from Belgium and France.

A massive manhunt is underway to capture suspect fugitive Salah Abdeslam, who is wanted by the police following the deaths of 129 people in the Paris terror attacks on Friday.

His brother Ibrahim Abdeslam blew himself up outside the cafe Comptoir Voltaire, which was part of the series of attacks in the French capital.

Mohamed Abdeslam, who is the third brother, was freed without charge after being questioned by officers.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp