Death Toll From Saudi Strike at Yemen Wedding Rises to 38

The Saudi-led coalition targeting Yemen\'s Shiite rebels had mistakenly struck a wedding party.

Published: 28th September 2015 10:11 PM  |   Last Updated: 28th September 2015 10:11 PM   |  A+A-

yemen_AP

In this Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015 photo, an explosion is seen following a Saudi-led airstrike at a site believed to be one of the largest weapons depots in Sanaa, Yemen. The war in Yemen escalated in March when the Saudi-led coalition launched a campaign i

By PTI

SANAA: The Saudi-led coalition targeting Yemen's Shiite rebels mistakenly struck a wedding party today, killing at least 38 people, Yemeni security officials said.

The strikes hit the celebration in al-Wahga, a village near the strategic Strait of Bab al-Mandab, said the officials, who remain neutral in the conflict that has splintered Yemen.

At least 40 people were wounded in the two airstrikes, they said. The strikes, a senior government official said, were "a mistake." Many of the victims were women and children, according to several villagers.

Yemen has been embroiled in fighting that pits the rebels, known as Houthis, and forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh against the Saudi-backed and internationally recognized government as well as southern separatists, local militias and Sunni extremists.

The US-backed coalition has been carrying out airstrikes against the rebels and their allies since March.

Further details and circumstances that led to the wedding party being mistakenly hit were not immediately known, but the village in which it took place lies in the battered Taiz province, where civilians routinely fall victim to daily Saudi airstrikes as well as rebel mortar shells.

Only seven of Taiz's 21 hospitals are currently open but they are "totally overwhelmed" and have run out of essential medication, Hassan Boucenine of the Geneva-based aid group Doctors Without Borders, also known as Medecins Sans Frontieres or MSF, said earlier this week.

The conflict in Yemen has killed at least 2,100 civilians so far, according to UN figures.

All officials and local residents spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media or fear reprisals.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp