Paris prosecutor seeks pulling of French magazine for publishing Nice attack pictures

Two victims' groups asked the prosecutor on Wednesday to intervene, accusing the weekly news magazine 'Paris Match' of sensationalising last year's attack by publishing surveillance camera images.

Published: 13th July 2017 04:42 PM  |   Last Updated: 13th July 2017 04:42 PM   |  A+A-

A mourner places flowers at a makeshift memorial for the victims of the Nice attack outside the French consulate in New York, Friday, July 15, 2016. | AP

By AFP

PARIS: The Paris prosecutor today demanded the withdrawal of the current edition of Paris Match which contains images from last year's Bastille Day attack that killed 86 people in Nice.

Two victims' groups asked the prosecutor on Wednesday to intervene, accusing the weekly news magazine of sensationalising the attack by publishing images from surveillance cameras.

"These screen grabs, published without any precautions, are an affront to the dignity of the victims and their families" and were published "only to create a sensation," the groups said in a statement.

The Paris prosecutor made an urgent request to a court to pull the magazine from newsstands and to "ban publication in all formats, notably digital", of the issue.

The prosecutor has also opened a probe into the leaking of the images on the eve of the anniversary of the attack which saw a Tunisian Islamist radical drive a truck into a crowd watching fireworks on the Nice beachfront.

This year, instead of a fireworks display that drew some 30,000 revellers last year to the famous Promenade des Anglais there will be candles, a memory book and a solemn speech by President Emmanuel Macron.

Nice mayor Christian Estrosi also slammed the publication of pictures he said were "intolerable" and would "surely revive the families' grief."

Paris Match editor Olivier Royant said the magazine "wanted to pay homage to the victims... one year on, in a duty of remembrance".

He said in a statement that the images had been published previously by other news outlets and the individuals in them could not be identified.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp