Fillon spokesman quits campaign team

Solere's departure was the latest in a series of defections related to pending corruption charges against Fillon.

Published: 03rd March 2017 09:08 PM  |   Last Updated: 03rd March 2017 09:08 PM   |  A+A-

Thierry Solere. AP

By Associated Press

PARIS:  French conservative Francois Fillon's presidential bid suffered another blow Friday as his spokesman, Thierry Solere, resigned from the campaign team.

Solere's departure was the latest in a series of defections related to pending corruption charges against Fillon. The campaign treasurer and three lawmakers from his Republicans party announced Thursday they were quitting, amid growing pressure for Fillon to step down in favor of someone else.

Nadine Morano, a former minister who backed Fillon's candidacy, also made a U-turn Friday, urging the former prime minister to withdraw his bid.

"I'm among those who use their energy trying to convince Francois Fillon to step down," said Morano. "I'm worried that the French will not let us reach the second round."

Fillon initially said he would step down if charged, but decided to maintain his candidacy even though he's been summoned to face charges on March 15. Fillon denies that he arranged taxpayer-funded jobs for family members who did no actual work.

Others are also reportedly quitting the campaign, mainly those who supported staunchly conservative Fillon's more moderate rival Alain Juppe in last year's primary. Juppe was runner-up, but has said he doesn't want to run in Fillon's place.

While Fillon's popularity has nosedived in recent weeks, Juppe could qualify for the second round of the election according to an opinion poll published Friday.

Fillon's supporters meanwhile plan a rally near the Eiffel Tower on Sunday that they hope will help hold the campaign together.

Morano strongly criticized the plan, calling it "irresponsible" as France remains in a state of emergency because of the risk of extremist attacks.

"And the far-left will come. That will result in dramatic images," Morano said, insisting there was a serious risk of violence.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp