South Korea's sunken Sewol a step closer to reaching port

Almost all the victims were schoolchildren and it is thought that nine bodies still unaccounted for may be trapped inside.

Published: 25th March 2017 03:47 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th March 2017 03:47 AM   |  A+A-

The partially lifted sunken ferry Sewol, center, is ready for transport in waters off Jindo, South Korea, Friday, March 24, 2017. | AP

By PTI

JINDO: South Korea's sunken Sewol ferry was one step closer to reaching port today after it was hauled onto a giant heavy lifting ship, Yonhap news agency reported, ready to be towed from its watery grave.

Nearly three years after it went down killing more than 300 people, the wreck was safely placed onto a semisubmersible ship that will finally bring it to shore, Yonhap cited the government as saying. "The vessel was successfully loaded onto the semisubmersible ship as of 4:10 am (local time)," completing one of the most delicate stages of the salvage operation, the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries told the agency.

It will take two or three days for the hull of Sewol to be secured to the Dockwise White Marlin, a huge vessel that had been standing by in deeper waters to bring it to Mokpo on the mainland, for investigations and a search. The 145-metre ship was brought to the surface in a complex salvage operation believed to be among the largest recoveries ever of a wreck in one piece, a key demand of the families of the dead.

Almost all the victims were schoolchildren and it is thought that nine bodies still unaccounted for may be trapped inside. After the ferry safely leaves the accident site, the ministry said divers will search the waters and seabed for any remains. Underwater fences surrounding the area where the Sewol sank have been installed. It came as the third anniversary approached of one of the country's worst-ever maritime disasters, which dealt a crushing blow to now-ousted president Park Geun-Hye.

Investigations into the disaster, in which 304 people died, concluded it was largely man-made -- the cumulative result of an illegal redesign, an overloaded cargo bay, inexperienced crew and a questionable relationship between the ship operators and state regulators. Several relatives yesterday watched the much-anticipated operation unfolding from a boat near the site. A flotilla of powerful tugs towed the wreck, lying on its side on a platform between two giant salvage barges, towards the semi-submersible. Once secured on the vessel, it will take a day to reach port.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp