Interpol issues red notices for Serbians wanted in UN case

Interpol has issued high-priority red notices for the arrest of three Serbians, two of them lawyers, accused of witness tampering.

Published: 31st March 2017 02:22 PM  |   Last Updated: 31st March 2017 02:22 PM   |  A+A-

This file photo taken on May 06, 2010 shows the entrance of the Interpol headquarters in Lyon, eastern France. (File | AFP)

By AFP

THE HAGUE: Interpol has issued high-priority red notices for the arrest of three Serbians, two of them lawyers, accused of witness tampering, the UN's former Yugoslavia war crimes court announced today.

"The red notices, which seek the location and arrest of the accused Petar Jojic, Jovo Ostojic and Vjerica Radeta were issued by Interpol at the request of the Tribunal's Registry," the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia said.

"The red notices are effective as from 16 March 2017," it added in a statement issued in The Hague. The case against the three suspects has dragged on for more than two years, after the ICTY issued arrest warrants in January 2015 for three associates of radical Serb Vojislav Seselj. Defence lawyers Jojic and Radeta, and former war-time associate, Ostojic were charged in December 2014 with "having threatened, intimidated, offered bribes to, or otherwise interfered with two witnesses," in two cases involving Seselj.

Ultranationalist Seselj was acquitted in his main trial in March 2016 of nine charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity arising from the 1990s Balkan conflicts. But the three other suspects remain wanted for trial on the separate charges, and the court has grown increasingly angry because of Belgrade's refusal to hand them over.

Tribunal judge Alphons Orie in February instructed court officials to request the Interpol red notices, saying it was clear "Serbia's continued non-compliance with its obligations obstructs the course of justice." Interpol says on its website that red notices can give "high, international visibility to cases". Wanted persons are also flagged to border officials "making travel difficult."

The ICTY judges in 2012 handed Seselj a two-year jail term in the separate contempt case. Seselj was allowed to travel back to Serbia in 2015 to undergo cancer treatment while awaiting the verdict in his main trial, which he did not attend. Since then, he has repeatedly lashed out at the UN tribunal, and his Radical Party was returned to parliament in Belgrade in April elections.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp