At least 18 dead in car bomb attack targeting displaced Syrians: Monitor

The attack was carried out by the Islamic State group and took place in an area where Syrians displaced from Deir Ezzor province usually gather, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Published: 13th October 2017 12:34 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th October 2017 01:23 AM   |  A+A-

Murder Generic-File Photo

Image for representational purpose only

By AFP

BEIRUT: A jihadist car bombing targeting displaced Syrians in the northeastern province of Hasakeh on Thursday killed at least 18 people, including Kurdish security forces, a monitor said.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the attack was carried out by the Islamic State group and took place in an area where Syrians displaced from Deir Ezzor province usually gather.

"At least 18 people, including displaced persons and members of the Asayesh Kurdish security forces, were killed," Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said.

Two separate offensives targeting IS are underway in the eastern oil-rich province of Deir Ezzor, one by Russia-backed government forces and the other by US-backed Kurdish-Arab fighters known as the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

SDF spokesman Talal Sello confirmed a car bombing targeting people displaced from Deir Ezzor, saying it took place in the Hasakeh's southern area of Abu Fass.

"Dozens of people were killed and wounded," Sello told AFP.

After the blast, "the civilians escaped towards desert areas where mines exploded and the toll rose", he added, without providing further details.

Much of Hasakeh province and Hasakeh city are under the control of a Kurdish "autonomous administration" with smaller parts of both controlled by the central government.

Abu Fass is where Kurdish authorities gather people displaced by conflict before allowing them to enter camps where they can shelter, the Observatory said.

Earlier on Thursday, the monitoring group, which relies on a network of sources inside war-torn Syria, said regime forces had retaken four neighbourhoods in the town of Mayadeen in Deir Ezzor province.

The state news agency SANA confirmed that regime forces had re-entered Mayadeen.

Last week, IS succeeded in expelling Syrian forces from Mayadeen two days after they entered the town.

A Syrian army source had recently described Mayadeen as the "military capital" of the jihadist organisation in Deir Ezzor.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.