UN fund for sexual abuse victims grows to USD 1.5 million

A UN fund to help victims of sexual abuse and exploitation by peacekeepers and UN staff has now grown to USD 1.5 million following contributions from 10 more countries.

Published: 29th September 2017 12:36 AM  |   Last Updated: 29th September 2017 12:36 AM   |  A+A-

The United Nations Security Council will hold an emergency meeting Friday concerning North Korea's latest missile launch over Japan. (File | AP)

The United Nations Security Council | AP

By PTI

DAKAR:  A UN fund to help victims of sexual abuse and exploitation by peacekeepers and UN staff has now grown to USD 1.5 million following contributions from 10 more countries including Sri Lanka, whose troops were implicated in a child sex ring in Haiti.

Critics called the fund "tiny" and said it would only provide general support services rather than payouts to individual victims. The UN Department of Field Support made the announcement Wednesday in New York, a week after a special session was held on the sidelines of the annual General Assembly to address the scourge of sexual violence by UN staff and peacekeepers in missions around the world. It was the most detailed accounting to date made public about the fund's contributors.

The new contributions to the trust fund, which had previously been estimated at about USD 500,000, will initially be used to boost services for victims in Congo, according to the announcement. Projects are also expected in several of the other countries with high numbers of allegations: Central African Republic, Haiti and Liberia.

"These contributions reinforce the Secretary-General's clear commitment to putting the rights and dignity of victims first," it said.

While some young women have managed to confirm paternity in cases of abuse and exploitation by UN staff or peacekeepers, individual payments are rare and even then can take years to receive. The USD 1.5 million special UN fund is limited in scope, emphasized Paula Donovan, co-director of AIDS-Free World, which has investigated UN sexual abuses through its Code Blue Campaign.

"Let's be clear: This 'trust fund' is not what it appears to be. It provides no funds to individual victims," she said Thursday. "Instead, it is a tiny pot of money to be dispersed by the United Nations to fund organizations that provide generalized services in a fraction of the affected communities." A recent year-long investigation by The Associated Press found that more than 700 of the approximately 2,000 allegations of sexual misconduct since 2004 had taken place in Congo, an enormous African country that is home to the world's largest UN peacekeeping mission.

The AP investigation found that the UN failed to meet many of its pledges to help victims, some of whom have been lost to a sprawling bureaucracy. Cases have disappeared, or have been handed off to the peacekeepers' home countries which often do nothing with them. Justice is even more elusive, because the cases are referred to the alleged perpetrators' home countries.

The AP found that even after a UN investigation discovered a three-year child sex ring involving Sri Lankan peacekeepers in Haiti, Sri Lanka prosecuted no one. The South Asian country was among the 10 announced as contributors Thursday though it was not immediately clear how much the nation may have donated as no breakdown was made public.

The announcement also noted that USD 102,000 of the money comes from withholding payments to alleged perpetrators in cases where complaints were substantiated. Other new contributors to the fund whose peacekeepers have faced allegations of sexual misconduct include Bangladesh, Nigeria and Pakistan. Albania, Canada, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal and Switzerland also have made unspecified donations, joining Bhutan, Cyprus, India, Japan and Norway, the UN said. 

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.