STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Tata Power to own licence for distribution, retail supply of electricity in five circles in Odisha

Presently, Tata Power has total consumer base of 2.5 million across Mumbai, Delhi and Ajmer and with the acquisition of CESU, its consumer base would double and touch five million consumers.

Published: 23rd December 2019 02:15 PM  |   Last Updated: 24th December 2019 10:17 AM   |  A+A-

tata power

A woma walks under high-tension power lines leading from a Tata Power sub station in Mumbai's suburbs. Image used for representational purpose. (File Photo | Reuters)

By Express News Service

NEW DELHI: Tata Power on Monday said it has bagged a 25-year licence for distribution and retail supply of electricity in Odisha’s five circles for about Rs 175 crore. The company said it will form a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) entity, meaning a subsidiary, in which the state government will own 49 per cent equity and the remaining 51 per cent will be owned by Tata Power.

“Our focus has been on increasing the company’s existing footprint in distribution of electricity through public-private-partnerships with discoms. This tie-up with CESU is the latest such partnership in the distribution business,” said Praveer Sinha, CEO and MD, Tata Power, adding the company aims to grow its power distribution business four-fold in the next three years.

Together, the five circles spanning across Cuttack, Bhubaneswar (electrical circle — I and II), Paradip and Dhenkanal fall under the ambit of the Central Electricity Supply Utility (CESU) of Odisha. With this deal, Tata Power gets access to another 25 lakh customers in addition to its existing customer base of 25 lakh across Mumbai, Delhi and Ajmer and is expected to rake in annual revenues in excess of Rs 3,000 crore. “We’re looking at 10 million (100 lakh) consumers in the next three years,” Sinha noted.

The company is keen on similar opportunities across other states too. “... a few more places such as Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand are under consideration.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp