STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Epilepsy Patients Equal Breast, Lung Cancer Victims

According to the World Health Organisation, one percent of people in the world suffer from epilepsy or

Published: 02nd April 2014 08:28 AM  |   Last Updated: 02nd April 2014 08:28 AM   |  A+A-

According to the World Health Organisation, one percent of people in the world suffer from epilepsy or seizure-related disorders, which is equal to the number of people suffering from breast cancer in women and lung cancer in men. Suffering from epilepsy is equal to suffering from depression, dementia or substance abuse. Last Wednesday (March 26) was World Epilepsy Day.

Dr Harirama Acharya, senior consultant and Head of the Department of Neurology at Fortis Hospital in the city, said, “Epilepsy affects around 50 million people worldwide but many in the general public know little about it and much of what they know is incorrect. Considering that a large population is affected with epilepsy, there is a crunch in research work in this field.”

Dr Vikram Huded, Head of Interventional Neurology and stroke at Narayana Health City, said epilepsy is definitely under-diagnosed in India because of the social stigma associated with it. He said, “The superstition is especially high among villagers who believe that epileptic seizures are due to demonic possessions. The stigma in turn leads to growth of fear and unawareness. Thus, there are very few patients who actually visit doctors for proper diagnosis. Moreover, the sad fact is that there are some doctors who cannot even identify the types of epilepsy.”

India as a country still lacks the required level of awareness that is necessary to counteract a disease such as epilepsy, he added.

There are gender-based differences in epilepsy, other health considerations, hormonal changes and social function, according to experts. It affects a woman differently than it would affect a man because women are biologically different and also have the role of child bearing.

Epilepsy could be caused because of abnormal brain development due to genetic factors, an illness or injury, say experts. One should guard against head injuries by taking minor precautions such as wearing a helmet when riding a vehicle. Scarring of brain could also lead to seizures. It can be prevented by genetic screening and good prenatal care. It is treatable and there are good medications with which patients can lead a normal life.

In India, there are around 6 million epilepsy patients, said Dr Acharya. Although, there are millions of cases in the country, we still do not have a national policy for this condition. This disease is still not considered a major health threat. A person with this disorder needs early diagnosis and proper treatment, he added.

“Most commonly, epilepsy occurs among children and the elderly. In 70-80 per cent cases, seizures can be controlled with the help of medication. In the remaining 20 per cent, the most common treatment option pursued is surgery,” Dr Acharya said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp