SHIVAJINAGAR:A steep increase in the price of onion has hit households in the city. Many have reduced the quantity of onion in their cooking, while smaller darshinis have temporarily removed onion dosa and uthappa from their menu.
Kalavati, a home maker, misses the taste of onion. “Fot two weeks, I have not been buying enough onions. Without it, my cooking doesn’t come out tasty,” she said.
Aishwarya, a home maker from R T Nagar, isn’t adding onions to her dosas any more.
“Supply is poor because of crop failure or poor rainfall. In some areas, heavy rain has hit crops,” said Raju, who runs a shop.
Imran Pasha, an onion trader, used to sell 50-60 kg every day. Since last week, that has come down to 20-30 kg.
Another trader, Mohammad Isaac, blames the government for not anticipating the shortage. Many like him believe wholesalers are hoarding onions to make windfall profits. “Once a year, the problem recurs, and the government is always unprepared," said shopkeeper Sadiq Pasha.
Hopcoms Managing Director Kadire Gowda said, “The retail price had reached Rs 100 at several places across India. With the arrival of new crop, prices will come down. In Karnataka, new yield has started coming to the market.”
Some restaurants are economising, and not serving onion slices with north Indian dishes. Many eateries are using less onion in their sambar than before.
Prices across India
- Two weeks ago, the retail price of onions in the open market in Bengaluru was Rs 25-30. Last week, it went up to Rs 45-55.
- The going rate is Rs 75 now.
- Strangely, the current
- Hopcoms price is higher than the bazaar price. At their outlets, onion was selling at Rs 28-30 some time ago. Last week, it went up to Rs 48-58. The current price is Rs 84.
- The Centre is importing about 10,000 metric tonnes of onion from Pakistan, Egypt, Afghanistan and China.
- Punjab and Haryana are importing onions from Afghanistan in trucks via the Attari-Wagah land route. The current retail price is Rs 65-70 a kilo.
- Rajasthan and Gujarat are getting supplies from Pakistan. The price there is about Rs 55.