Kannada Actor Throws Assault Charge on Cubbon Park Cop

Published: 30th January 2015 05:59 AM  |   Last Updated: 30th January 2015 09:34 AM   |  A+A-

BENGALURU: Kannada film actor Chetan Kumar on Thursday accused a Cubbon Park sub-inspector of assaulting him.

In a complaint submitted to City Police Commissioner M N Reddi, Chetan named SI Naveen Subekar and the ACP of Halasuru Gate sub-division. According to the complaint, the incident took place on January 24, when Chetan had gone to Church Street to pick up some friends who were partying there. “We were getting ready to leave around 1.45 am. Just as I was leaving, Subekar approached us, snatched the car key and without any reason, assaulted me. He slapped me at least six times,” Chetan said.  Subekar then allegedly asked his fellow policeman to bundle Chetan into the police jeep. “But when he saw I was going willingly, he returned the key and asked me to leave. ACP Amarnath Reddy was with the SI and supported his act,” he claimed.

According to the actor, he went to Cubbon Park police station around 3.30 am to file a complaint against the SI, but was assaulted again by Subekar before being thrown into a cell. “About an hour later, he came and asked me to write an apology letter but I refused. At this point, they called Inspector Balakrishna, who came in around 5.30 am and released me after taking a complaint from me.”

The actor claimed that he later met DCP (Central) Sandeep Patil, who promised to investigate. “I gave the details of the case to Cubbon Park ACP Shobha Rani. But till now, no action has been taken against anyone from Cubbon Park station,” he said.

Probe Under Way: Sandeep Patil

Sandeep Patil confirmed Chetan’s complaint and said ACP Shobha Rani was investigating. “Based on the probe report, we will decide what action needs to be taken,” he said.

When Express contacted Subekar, he told a very different story. “He (Chetan) was standing with some girls on Church Street. It was around 2 am and since the bomb blast, security has been upped in the area. We politely informed them it was late and requested them to leave. But he began abusing me.... I told him that I didn’t care who he was, and that I was telling him of the security measures for his own good. But he kept abusing me, and so I told him to come to the police station. There too, he abused me and threatened to ensure that action was taken against me,” he said.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp