BENGALURU: Nearly 30 passengers of a BMTC bus had a narrow escape when they alighted, following the timely response of the driver, just before the vehicle burst into flames in Kadugodi police limits on Wednesday morning.
Around 11.15 am, the bus was plying on the ITPL Main Road when bus driver Manjunath noticed smoke emanating from the engine. He immediately stopped and asked the passengers to get out. Just after everyone got down, the bus burst into flames. Manjunath also alerted the police and fire officials about the incident. By the time they arrived, the entire bus was gutted and the firefighters doused the fire.
Officials suspect that the fire was caused by a battery short circuit. “There was a spark in the battery which led to the fire,” a rescue official said.
Traffic was disrupted for some time on the ITPL Main Road. Based on the complaint filed by the driver, Kadugodi police have registered a case.