STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Colourful Inside-out, Cry Out Bengaluru's Women

Lingerie of brighter hues are a hit this season, say sales figures.

Published: 23rd April 2016 04:19 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd April 2016 04:19 AM   |  A+A-

Colourful

BENGALURU: The trend of colourful clothes — not just summer-wear — seems to be catching on. More and more Bengalurean women prefer lingerie of different hues.

Figures released by online undergarment store Zivame indicate that bra sales of the conventional white, skin and black colours have dropped by 7 per cent in 2015-16 to 42.2 per cent of overall bra sales, from 49.2 per cent in 2014-15.

The most sought-after shades currently, according to a statement from the store, are blue, brown and green.

Most teenagers and women City Express spoke to said wearing colours made them ‘feel good inside-out’. Nineteen-year-old Namrata M says black-, white- and skin-coloured bras are ‘too mainstream’ for her.

Rusha Gupta, also the same age, says varied colours give her confidence. She likes to flaunt them too.

“In the summer, when I wear sleeveless dresses, the strap is bound to show,” she says. “I also like wearing them to special events.”

Another teenager Kavya Jonnavithala picks up shades of pink, blue and yellow. Megha Machado, also in her late teens, goes for neons too.

Sreelekshmi Pritviraj, who also falls into the same age group, prefers red and blue, with the ‘all-time sexy black’. “I love colours, and I am a colourful person,” she says.

Teenager Esha Iyer also likes blue and pink lingerie, but buys them only if they are the right fit.

“I’m on the busty side, and there are not too many options to choose from in my size,” she says. For her, comfort — read sturdiness — takes priority to making a style statement.

English post-graduate Anugraha Madhavan says her purple and black lingerie does more than just brighten up her wardrobe or her day. “I travel a lot, and the colours help me keep track of my lingerie after I wash and hang them out to dry,” she says.

Age No Bar

Sampadha Marballi, a music teacher in her 40s, says she prefers bright blues, greens, yellows and reds. She also likes embroidery and patterns. Vibrant blue, pink and orange make Suma M, a client-relations executive in her 40s, ‘feel vivacious’.

Vinodini Iyer, in her early 50s, says she chooses lingerie that goes with her saree blouses.

Blue, pink and red shades ‘spice things up in the bedroom’, says 32-year-old newly-wed homemaker Preksha Samson, with a smile. And why not, for some men City Express spoke to are partial to colourful underwear.

Twenty-one-year-old Kevin M (name changed) echoes Preksha’s thoughts: ‘Colours add spice to life’. Nishanth, younger by three years, says fit is as important as the shade for undergarments to look attractive.

Arpita Ganesh, founder-CEO of lingerie brand Buttercups, also thinks women must not compromise on the fit of the bra.

Popular colours vary depending on the brand and clientele. While Zivame has registered interest in brighter hues, Buttercup tries to ‘make our neutrals more fun’.

“We cater to a slightly mature clientele (25 years and above), who look more for comfort and neutrals to go with their daily wear rather than colourful stuff,” says Arpita.

“That said, we make our neutrals fun too, by giving colours like ebony and indigo instead of black, and shell and lilac instead of skin.”

Summery Choices

  •   Laced
  •   Vibrant colours
  •   Floral prints
  •   Polka dots
  •   Animal prints
  •   Embroidery
Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp