Man survives after bullet, fired by toddler, passes through neck

Published: 16th August 2016 04:31 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th August 2016 05:25 AM   |  A+A-

Case of negligence

BENGALURU: A 55-year-old man had a lucky escape after a bullet passed through his neck, following an accidental firing by a two-and-half-year-old boy. The toddler, who is the grandson of a BJP leader, was playing with the gun at his residence in the city on Monday morning. The incident occurred at Chokkasandra in Dasarahalli near Peenya.

Man.jpgGovindappa, a former employee of the Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) maintenance department, and his friends had gone to meet Muniraju, a former councillor from Dasarahalli municipality and a BJP leader. While they were waiting in a meeting hall at his residence in Peenya, Muniraju went inside to change his dress and had kept his weapon down.

“My grandson went inside and took it. When he walked into the hall, it slipped from his hand and fell. Due to the impact, its safety lock opened and a bullet was fired,” Muniraju told Express. “I always keep the safety lock on. I still do not know how it opened and how the weapon fired on its own,’’ said Muniraju, who has been carrying the weapon for the past 15 years.

The bullet-hit Govindappa, was sitting on a chair and talking to one of his friends when he was injured. “It entered from the front right side of the neck and exited from the left,’’ said Dr Chinnadurai of Sparsh Hospital in Yeshwanthpur, where Govindraj is currently being treated.

The doctor said there is no major organ injury and his condition is stable.

A 55-year-old man suffered a bullet injury to his neck when a toddler accidentally fired a gun at him. The victim is Govindappa.

The police have taken up a case of negligence against the BJP leader who owned the gun. The toddler was his grandson.

“He was brought to the hospital with a mild difficulty in breathing. He is out of danger and is being closely monitored,” Dr Chinnadurai of Sparsh Hospital in Yeshwanthpur said.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) T R Suresh, who visited Muniraju’s house after the accident, said the entire incident has been recorded in the CCTV installed at his house. “The boy was playing with his grandfather’s revolver when it was fired accidentally,” he said. Govindappa had retired from ISRO in 2009. He was a regular at Muniraju’s house.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp