Here is a look at the allegations made by the DIG –
1. AIADMK leader V K Sasikala, imprisoned in the disaproportionate assets case, have been provided with a kitchen at her barrack which is against the Prisons Act. A Rs 2 crore bribe was given to provide the facility.
2. Stamp paper scam convict Abdul Kareem Lal Telagi sought wheel chair and assistants in a petition to the court six months ago. Despite being in good condition now, 3-4 undertrial inmates were always with him to massage his legs, hands and shoulder. According to the law, it is illegal to let undertrial inmates be with the convicts. Though this came to the notice of the SP, no action was taken.
3. During medical checkup of the prisoners on July 10, doctors confirmed that 18 out of the 25 prisoners were drug abusers.
4. An inmate assaulted an on-duty doctor on June 29 and the guard who was supposed to be present, was absent when the incident took place. However, no action was taken.
5. The jail superintendent was not present when DIG Roopa D visited Central Prisons at Parappana Agrahara on July 10.
6. Four months ago, an inmate misbehaved with a lady nurse and no action has been taken till date.
7. Convicts were allowed inside the record room in prisons to assist doctors and few of them have stolen medical documents to get bail.
8. Few inmates threatened doctors to admit them in the hospital despite being in good health.
9. The pharmacy was not well maintained.
10. Sleeping pills reserved for mentally-disturbed patients were available for normal patients too.