3 suffer burns in hostel kitchen fire

Two visually challenged girls and a cook suffered burn injuries in a fire incident at a hostel here on Wednesday.

Published: 07th September 2017 02:32 AM  |   Last Updated: 07th September 2017 07:22 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: Two visually challenged girls and a cook suffered burn injuries in a fire incident at a hostel here on Wednesday.Police said the incident occurred at Adarsha CDS Trust, a hostel for visually impaired children at Whitefield. A fire broke out around 6am on Wednesday, when the cook, Jazeera Begum (42), lit the stove to prepare tea. Ambika (17) and Balamma (15), who were close by, suffered 40 per cent and 5-10 per cent burn injuries respectively.

Hazeera suffered 30 per cent burns. All three have been admitted to Victoria Hospital. Police said the fire could have been caused by a leakage in the cooking gas. The cook told the hostel manager that she forgot to open the windows before lighting the stove, something she usually does, police said. Police have filed a case of accidental fire. The manager said Ambika and Hazeera could be discharged after 10 days.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp