BENGALURU: A daily-wage worker died after he was electrocuted by an underground live wire at Maruti Nagar while carrying out digging works on Wednesday morning.
According to police officials, Nagaraj (27), a native of a village in Chittoor district in Andhra Pradesh, was electrocuted around 10 am on Wednesday.
The victim was working for a private contracting firm called Mass for the past three days. Nagaraj had arrived in the city only 20 days ago from his village. Police added that the firm had not taken a no objection certificate (NOC) from BESCOM for the work, which is mandatory for any digging work.
Nagaraj’s elder brother Shiva, who was working with him when the incident occurred, registered a complaint at Amrutahalli police station against the liaisoning officer Binoy Cherian and contractor Gopal.
After Nagaraj’s death, a crowd gathered on the spot and demanded action against the contractor. Nagaraj’s body was taken for post-mortem to Dr BR Ambedkar Hospital at Kadugondanahalli near Tannery Road.
Nagaraj is survived by his wife Rekhamma and three children — Bhagwan (6), Deepa (3) and a girl who is younger than a year and is yet to be named. At the hospital, Nagaraj’s father Ramakrishnappa said, “We had no idea whether permission for the work was taken or not. It is the firm’s engineers who should be held responsible for this, but we are unable to reach them as their phones are switched off. The contracting firm now says it can get us insurance money.”