STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Snack unit boiler explodes, chars two workers to death

The blast, which occurred around 1.30 pm, was so intense that it threw parts of machinery in different directions, shattering the ceiling.

Published: 24th August 2021 06:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 24th August 2021 01:00 PM   |  A+A-

A police officer at the unit where a boiler burst in Bengaluru on Monday | Shriram BN

A police officer at the unit where a boiler burst in Bengaluru on Monday | Shriram BN

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: Two workers were charred to death, while three -- including two women -- suffered burns, following a boiler explosion at a condiments  manufacturing unit, at Gopalapura on Magadi Main Road, on Monday afternoon.The incident caused a loud bang which was heard throughout the locality. Fire and Emergency personnel rushed to the spot and doused the fire in a two-and-half-hour operation.

The deceased have been identified as Manish Kumar (21) and Sourav (20), from Bihar, while the injured are Dhanalakshmi (52), Shanti (40), and Sachin, who owns the unit. They were shifted to the burns ward of Victoria Hospital, and their condition is said to be critical, police said.A senior police officer said that Sachin runs MM Food Products along with partner Vijay Mehta. It is reported that the facility had ignored safety measures during work hours. 

The blast, which occurred around 1.30 pm, was so intense that it threw parts of machinery in different directions, shattering the ceiling. The FSL experts have found that a leak in the boiler could have caused the blast, however, it is investigating further. Meanwhile, Magadi Road police have booked the factory owner and manager for negligence. The unit is into manufacturing of snacks and other food products.

 Similar accidents

  • July 2018: Three engineers died due to asphyxiation, while another had a narrow escape, when they were checking a gas leak from a boiler at a medical equipment factory at Harohalli Industrial area in Kanakapura. 
  • April 2017: Two workers were charred to death after an accidental fire broke out in a furniture unit at Old Guddadahalli on Mysuru Road. Goods worth a few lakhs were gutted, while 10 members of a joint family were rescued by firemen.
  • April 2016: A 28-year-old woman was charred to death, while four others escaped with burns, after a fire broke out at a chemical godown in Seegehalli Gate on Magadi Road. The godown owner had allegedly stocked chemicals there illegally.


Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp