The Ennore Port is expected to serve the export of three lakh units of cars in the next two years, according to Port chairman and managing director S P Velumani.
Talking to Express after Renault India shipped its first batch of Duster SUVs from the Ennore Port to the UK and Ireland, he said firms such as Toyota, Renault, Nissan and Ford were likely to export three lakh units from the Ennore Port in the next 18 to 24 months, in full capacity of the port.
Velumani, who retired on Friday, said last year, the port handled 1.04 lakh cars and this year it was expected to export 1.60 lakh cars. He said Nissan was currently exporting 80,000 units and had plans to export 1.20 lakh units this year. By next year, the company is likely to increase its exports to 1.80 lakh vehicles. He said that Toyota had currently assured to export 30,000 cars and was expected to increase it to 80,000 units.
He also said the Ennore Port would be reviving its dream of setting up the biggest container terminal by updating the project report. The Rs 1,407-crore project could not take off as the Bay of Bengal Gateway Terminal, the consortium that won the bid for the Rs 1,300-crore project, forfeited the concession due to delay in getting debt funding. “There will be some changes in the scope of the project and estimates of the project are likely to go up to Rs 1,600 crore. We will review to increase the capacity by 10 to 15 per cent.” The new project study would be sent to the Shipping Ministry. He said a few companies, including DP World, had shown interest .in the revised project.