Fisherfolk commemorate '85 firing victims

Published: 05th December 2012 08:28 AM  |   Last Updated: 05th December 2012 08:28 AM   |  A+A-


Twenty-seven years ago, the stretch of Kamarajar Salai leading to the Marina Beach witnessed a month-long protest by fishermen, which ended up in police firing, leaving five of them dead.  The protest was against an attempt to evict them in order to beautify the beach. Members of the fishing community, on Tuesday, commemorated the incident by paying tributes at the memorial site in Ayodhi Kuppam. The memorial was jointly organised by the South Indian Fishermen Welfare Association (SIFWA) and the Tamil Nadu Meenavar Makkal Sangam.

All those who paid their respects recounted how they won back their traditional rights to fish with catamarans. In the wee hours of November 4, 1985, the Chennai Corporation, with the help of the police, removed the catamarans, sparking the agitation. The fisherfolk hit the Beach Road and began protesting the move of the government from November 5.  Annammal, a fisherwoman, fainted during a hunger strike the next day and died subsequently.

As the protests began gaining momentum, an attempt to besiege Fort St George was made on November 7, during which GA Kothandaraman of Ayodhi Kuppam, a young fisherman and a father of three, set himself ablaze in front of the Secretariat. He succumbed to burns a couple of days later at the GH.

The protests intensified and the government called representatives of the fishermen for talks on November 17.  However, the talks failed. As the government continued to ignore them, the fisherfolk decided to end their protest with a final showdown. The police, who were aware of their actions, opened 17 rounds of fire, killing five persons and injuring 19, including a month-old baby.

Meanwhile, an interim directive from the Apex Court chided the State for the seizure of the catamarans.

Speaking to City Express,  SIFWA president K Bharathi  recalled the rampage by the policemen, who descended on the fishing hamlets along the beach. The victims – M Manoharan, M Thulukkanam, G Sekar, S Kullasekar and M Chinnapillai — were all from the age group of 20 -40 and were the sole breadwinners of the family.

The Apex Court, on December 10, gave an order to release the catamarans in the presence of the Madras High Court Registrar. The fisherfolk began venturing out into the sea by mid-December 1985.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp