How safe are your children at home?

Published: 01st July 2013 08:43 AM  |   Last Updated: 01st July 2013 08:43 AM   |  A+A-

children

Having a watchful eye and keeping objects and dangerous substances away from toddlers are important in providing them a secure environment at home. However to ensure that, doctors say, parents first require awareness about their child’s safety.

On Thursday, two-year-old Ramya died while playing at her home when her father Rajamani, who was unloading drinking water cans, fell on her and the can hit her head. It was not the first time, a kid had died due to sheer negligence by parents at home.

On Wednesday, an 18-month-old toddler died when her father reversed his van and ran over her, in Chromepet. On Tuesday, a 20-month-old baby girl died after a television set came crashing on her in Perungudi. In May, another 18-month-old died in Aminjikarai when she touched a table fan while sleeping and got electrocuted.

Doctors say they have seen several cases of kids reportedly dying after consuming kerosene at home. “Adults may be used to keeping objects in certain place, assuming it won’t cause problems. But one day tragedy happens. There have been cases, when kids have bit a live wire or consumed medicines. Another common case is of baby falling into a bucket of water or hot water. When about 20 to 40 tablets of paracetamol can kill adults, it can cause convulsions and eventually kill a baby,” explains Dr Gunasingh, Institute of Child Health.

Doctors also says that only a constant supervision on toddlers, aged up to five years, could help avoid such incidents from taking place, as they tend to be more active when they begin to walk. However, before keeping a check, the parents need to be aware of what is safe for their child.

“We have had cases of kids eating soap, cleaning products and mosquito coils. In South Tamil Nadu, parents themselves apply camphor on their child’s body and give them neem oil or even mercury, thinking it could cure them from certain ailments. It might be unintentional, but it could result in the child’s death,” the doctor adds. Doctors say apart from training of handling and communication, parents are also educated on the safety aspects. They are given Parents Management Training where they are advised to constantly monitor their children. “When there is a behavioural change in a child, parents fail to understand that a family problem could be the reason. We advise them to keep sharp objects, medicines and detergents at an inaccessible place not just from toddlers but also from adolescents,” says  psychiatrist Dr Shanthi Nambi.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp