CHENNAI: A day after a 22-year-old youth was charred to death in a major fire in Sowcarpet, initial investigations reveal that the fire-ravaged complex had an illegal deodorant manufacturing unit.
According to Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services (TNFRS) officials, the ill-fated building also housed several offices, including that of an auditor. Cosmetics and other items were stocked on the second floor.
“We have found some machinery used for filling deodorant and body sprays,” an official said, adding, “The raw materials for making fake products of leading deodorant brands, and empty cans of branded ones were also found.”
“Were the owner a mere stockist, there would have been no need for him to install the machinery,” the official noted.
The fire which broke out in the complex around 1.30 pm on Monday raged for over four hours. As many as 19 fire tenders, four quick response vehicle, which spray foam mixture, and 10 metro water lorries were pressed into service.
Later, the TNFRS officials entered the building and retrieved the charred body of the youth from the last room on the first floor.
TNFRS officials suspect that an electrical short-circuit could have triggered the fire. As per their assessment, property worth around `1.5 crore was damaged in the incident.