CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has expressed grief over the loss of life in the collapse of a 11-stroey building in Mugalivakkam, and said the debris would be cleared away quickly to identify survivors and admit them to hospitals for medical care.
Jayalalithaa’s statement on Sunday gave an overview of the various steps taken by the State government in response to the collapse of the building. Animal Husbandry Minister TKM Chinnayya, Revenue Administration, Disaster Management and Mitigation Commissioner TS Sridhar, Chennai Police Commissioner S George, Kancheepuram District Collector K Bhaskaran and other related officials were rushed to the spot to expedite rescue efforts, Jayalalithaa said.
Apart from the Kancheepuram district administration, Police and Fire & Rescue Services personnel Jayalalithaa ordered that the Public Works Department, Highways Department, Chennai Corporation and Chennai Metro Rail be pressed into service. She had also requisitioned the National Disaster Response Force based in Arakkonam.
Jayalalithaa said in her statement that 21 persons had been pulled out of the debris, and were currently receiving medical treatment. She added that the death toll stood at 10, and offered her condolences to the families of those killed. Jayalalithaa also announced that a solatium of `2 lakh would be paid to the families of each of those killed and Rs 50000 to those who had sustained injuries, from the Chief Minister’s General Relief Fund.
She further ordered that the Tamil Nadu government bear the expenses to transport the bodies of the victims back to their hometowns.
“I appreciate the rescue efforts of the Kancheepuram District administration, Police, Fire & Rescue Services personnel, medical staff, Public Works Department, Highways Department, Chennai Corporation, Chennai Metro Rail and National Disaster Response Force and officials of all departments. I have ordered that the debris be cleared at the earliest and all those trapped in it be given proper medical care,” she said in her statement, adding that sufficient personnel and equipment continued to take part in the rescue efforts.