STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Pedestrian Mowed Down by MTC Bus while Crossing Road at Manali

Published: 24th December 2015 05:21 AM  |   Last Updated: 24th December 2015 05:21 AM   |  A+A-

CHENNAI: A  49-year-old man was mowed down by a Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) bus near Manali on Wednesday, and a retired LIC staff who slipped from another bus a day before at Mylapore was pronounced dead.

The fatal accidents happened soon after 15 passengers, mainly students, were injured as the footboard gave away in an MTC bus near Tambaram on Monday and a 40-year old woman flower vendor was fatally knocked down last week.

According to police, the accident involving the 49-year-old man was reported on Ponneri High Road when an MTC bus (route no.56M) was moving towards Manali. “The victim, M Murugan was crossing the road. The bus driver couldn’t stop the vehicle and ran over him, killing him on the spot,” a police officer said. Murugan’s body was moved to Government Stanley Hospital for post mortem. Madhavaram Traffic Investigation Wing have registered a case and have arrested the MTC driver.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday night, a former LIC officer Srinivasan (75) died after he slipped from an MTC bus while getting off near Luz Corner, Mylapore. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he died, police said. His body was moved to the Government Royapettah Hospital for autopsy and Adyar Traffic Investigation wing registered a case.

The recent accidents have raised questions about the condition of MTC buses. Trade unions have alleged that poor maintenance was one of the major reasons for frequent accidents. M Chandran, vice-president, Tamil Nadu State Transport Employees Federation affiliated with CITU alleged that poor maintenance of fleet, worn out buses and unmotorable roads were causes of such accidents. Buses that have exceeded their age should be replaced, Chandran said.

When contacted senior MTC officials said crew members of the fleets that were involved in fatal accidents were suspended, as per norms. “Action against the crew members (involved in two fatal accidents on Tuesday and Wednesday) would be taken after we receive the FIRs from police. As far as Wednesday’s accident is concerned, the driver was not at fault as the accident occurred when the pedestrian tried to cross the road by jumping over the median,” officials claimed.

Asked about the incident of the MTC footboard of a bus breaking away near Tambaram, the official said, “We have not given duty for both the driver and conductor. They are likely to be suspended.”

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp