Week After Teenager Beaten Up by Cops, Kin Petition SHRC

Family seeks action against Inspector, policemen who threatened them not to file plaint

Published: 19th March 2016 04:05 AM  |   Last Updated: 19th March 2016 04:33 AM   |  A+A-


CHENNAI: Having run from pillar to post for nearly six days to admit in hospital a 17-year-old boy from Kannagi Nagar who was beaten black and blue by six policemen in a suspected mobile phone snatching case, the victim’s family on Friday filed  a petition before the State Human Rights Commission seeking action against the policemen involved.

Police.jpgThe family demanded action against the Inspector in-charge responsible for the incident and also against the policemen who threatened them not to file a complaint. They also alleged that they were made to run between two government hospitals - Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital (RGGGH) and the GRH before admission.

“For the past five days, we have been running between both the hospitals. My brother has become weaker and has been complaining of ear pain now and it’s been two days since I went to work. We make a daily earning of Rs 300 with which we have to bear medical and food expenses,” V Vignesh, elder brother of the victim, told Express.

An operation was scheduled for next week under the ENT department.

It all started on March 11 around 11 pm, when the boy having a dinner was picked up from their house in Kannagi Nagar.

“He was taken out on the charge of mobile theft. The boy said four officers thrashed him badly, leaving him injured on his face and torso,” said the victim’s mother.

Siva (name changed), a class seven dropout, works as a casual labourer at Pudupet assisting his father. He had deep gashes on his lips also.

After police realised they had picked up the wrong boy, they gave him Rs 10 and asked him to get back home in a share auto. They also threatened him not to reveal the incident to anyone, the victim told in his statement. The boy was treated at the Government Royapettah Hospital.

However, on March 16, a constable attached to the Taramani police station was suspended and two other home guards involved in the crime were removed.  A case has been registered and further probe is on.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp