Don't burst the pimple! prevent it the siddha way
CHENNAI: Acne Vulgaris (the common acne or pimple) is a common malady of teenagers mainly on the face. The disease requires correct and long-term management as otherwise, it causes social and psychological concern. The acne is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the pilo sebaceous units and characterised by formation of comedones (blackheads and whiteheads), papules, nodules, pustules, cysts, abscesses and scars.
Causes for Acne
Most teenagers affected by pimples opt for some skin care lotions, soaps, ointments or fresh herbal pastes. But important factors lie in toxic components and metabolic waste products in blood. The following are reasons for the manifestation of muga paru:
• Fried and junk food vitiates kapha and pitta, leads to blood vitiation and acne
• Keeping awake at night leads to normal body rhythm imbalance, stress metabolism imbalance, leading to toxins and acne
• Over usage of cosmetics
• Stress and anxiety lead to metabolic imbalance and toxins
• Physiological changes during adolescence attributed to hormonal imbalance.
• Excess intake of non-vegetarian food.
These reasons provoke vata and pitta dosha in the body. They lead to vitiation of senneer (blood) and oon dhatu (muscle tissues). This causes constant irritation in the localised areas like face, neck, chest and back. And this manifests as multiple small elevated lesions known as pimples or paru.
Siddha Tips to Tackle Pimples
• Wash your face 4-5 times a day
• Avoid using harsh soaps and face washes as they remove natural oil that protects your skin. Instead use “Nalunguma” a Siddha bath powder can be used in all conditions. Avoid alcohol-based cleansers
• Use a soft cotton cloth. Do not rub the skin with harsh, rough textured towels.
• Consume a balanced diet which includes foods from all groups like vegetables, fruits, cereals. Avoid junk food like chips, deep fried food etc
• Include yellow and orange vegetables like carrot which have plenty of anti-oxidants.
• Drink 3-4 litres of water every day.
• Application of sangu parpam with rose water.
• Kunkumaathi lepam
• Grind the poppy seeds (kasa kasa) with lemon juice and apply it at night. Wash face in the morning with tripala chooranam. It gives very good result.
• Parangipattai chooranam
• Elathy chooranam
• Sangu parpam and ganthaga rasayanam in doses
— Dr B Thamizhkkani
(Government Siddha Physician, Tiruchy)