STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Building owner held for fire that claimed four lives in city

Almost a month after four people including two children died of asphyxiation in a fire that broke out in the parking lot of a building sealed by the Corporation,  police arrested the owner on Monday.

Published: 06th June 2017 04:48 AM  |   Last Updated: 06th June 2017 07:01 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

CHENNAI: Almost a month after four people including two children died of asphyxiation in a fire that broke out in the parking lot of a building sealed by the Corporation,  police arrested the owner on Monday.  
Vijayakumar,  a local politician affiliated to the ruling AIADMK, was nabbed by the police near Kodambakkam.  

This arrest comes six days after the state Minister for Finance Jayakumar told the press when he visited the scene of fire that broke out at Chennai Silks in T Nagar that necessary action would be taken against owners who constructed building against norms.  

The investigation officer said that since May 8, the day the incident was reported, Vijayakumar had been absconding.  “On Monday, we got a tip-off that he was near Kodambakkam where we arrested the man under section 304(ii)IPC.” He has been produced in a local court and remanded in judicial custody.  

On May 8, a suspected short circuit in the parking space caused fire in the building and the smoke that reached the second floor killed four people who were sleeping.  

The tragic incident raised the question how the building despite being sealed was allowed to function. The Madras High Court had directed the Corporation to seal the building on the grounds of building plan violation. Vijayakumar had allegedly obtained permission for the construction of a two-storey building originally but had gone on to raise  two more floors in 2004 in violation of the norms.

The Corporation had also come under fire following the incident for not monitoring the sealed buildings. Consequently, a Corporation engineer was suspended.

Soon after the incident,  the police registered a case and had launched a search for the suspect.

Asleep on second floor

On May 8, a suspected short circuit in the parking space caused fire in a building and the smoke that reached the second floor killed four people who were sleeping. The tragic incident raised the question how the building despite being sealed by Corporation was allowed to function.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp