HYDERABAD: A major fire broke out at a surgical spirit manufacturing unit in Uppal on Monday morning. The one-storeyed building and its cellar were engulfed in flames. However, no casualties were reported.
The incident took place at Krishna Pharma at Devender Nagar in IDA Uppal. Employees, who were present in the factory at the time of the incident, managed to escape unhurt. Fire officials said they received the call at 11.55 p.m though the incident took place at around 10.30 a.m.
As many as 35 firefighters and three fire brigade vehicles from Uppal were pressed into service. The flames were doused after four hours. Property loss was estimated at `50 lakh. Owner of the factory Mallikarjun Rao was out of station, it is learnt.
“There seemed to be some technical problem in the machines in the cellar. Short circuit could have led to the mishap. We leart that the unit did not have a fire licence,” said GB Chandrasekhar Babu, station fire officer, Uppal. Employees of the factory, who did not wished to be named, said that they heard some sounds and saw fire sparks. They said they tried to douse the fire before alerting the fire station.