Styrofoam Cup Pin Cushion
THINGS YOU NEED:
Cotton balls or cotton batting Styrofoam or thermocol food container or cup Felt sheet (one or two depending on your choice of colour - I ended up using a whole sheet of mustard yellow and a strip of deep red) Saree border (one and half inches width) to embellish Some thread, the embroidery variety and needle A pair of scissors Some pins to stick on the cushion when it gets done Embellishments such as stickers are optional Sand paper Craft glue
HOW TO DO IT
- Fold the felt sheet into four. And cut it to make it a round.
- Spread this out. Keep a knotted thread in the needle ready for stitching.
- Fill cotton balls or batting into the centre of this shape, and cup the felt sheet around it to cover it up as much as possible. Remember you will need to hold this in one hand, and pick up.
- Now, the pleat the felt where its edges converge, similar to how you would pleat a saree.
- Stitch through the pleats.
- Leave enough gap for a finger to dig in so you can adjust the shape of this cushion in such a way, that it fits into the container.
- If you wish, you may tuck in another piece of felt into the gaping hole. I decided otherwise.
- Use sand-paper to sand the side of the cup
- Glue the saree border slowly on this sanded surface. You can glue up the top end of the cup with an extra piece of felt.
- Hide away your little pieces of jewellery, keys, or simply a secret note. And tuck the cushion on it.
- The pin cushion safe is ready.
- Good luck with your little project.
Radhika Malladi blogs at http://www.imprintshandmade.com