HYDERABAD: In a distressing incident, a mother and her 3-year-old son were electrocuted while loading clothes in a washing machine in Warasiguda area here on Friday. However, the woman’s one-and-half-year-old baby girl survived the tragedy as she was tied to a cot and could not approach her mother and brother.
Chilkalguda sub-inspector of police P Jaya Shanker said the woman, Saleemunnisa (30) was living in a rented house at Warasiguda along with her three-year son Rehman and one-and-a-half-year-old daughter, Sumia Tabsumi. Saleemunnisa had separated from her husband Afsar Khan following a family dispute.
On Friday, around 11.30 am, Saleemunnisa was loading clothes in the washing machine when she got electrocuted. As Sumia was crawling all around the house, Saleemunnisa tied her to the cot with wires, police said. Rehman was playing in the house.
“As Saleemunnisa got electrocuted, Rehman rushed to her help and got electrocuted,” the police officer said. As both collapsed, Sumia started screaming. Neighbours who noticed the child crying for long time, went into the house only to find Saleemunnisa and Rehman lying on the ground.
Alerted by locals, police rushed to the spot and shifted them to a nearby hospital where both were declared dead.
Saleemunnisa was married to Afsar Khan four years ago. Afsar Khan is a physiotherapist and a native of Medak district while Saleemunnisa was a resident of Chilkalguda.