STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

HMRL bats for online payments across stations

Provision of paying for rides using QR codes displayed on gates to soon be introduced
 

Published: 30th May 2019 10:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 30th May 2019 10:58 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

HYDERABAD:  The provision of using digital payment methods to buy metro tickets at stations has freed passengers of the hassle of carrying loose cash or waiting for the exact change to be returned. However, several passengers have complained that digital transactions have not been consistently permitted in all stations. Officials, reacting to these complaints, said that the provision of digital transactions via QR codes displayed on the exit and entry gates would be rolled out soon. They also went on to claim that the digital payment methods had only been employed only an experimental basis. 

Anil Kumar Saini, the Chief Operating Officer of Railway Systems, L&T Metro Rail, said, “Transaction via the PayTM app to buy tokens was started on an experimental basis for three months. We selected Metro Stations like Begumpet and Ameerpet -- that have a high footfall -- to see how well the passengers would react to digital transactions. We have received quite positive feedback and are planning on applying this feature across all the stations in two months’ time.” 

Saini further said, “A new system of payment is being currently researched at the L&T labs, wherein a QR code would be developed for the entry and exit gates. Passengers can swipe cards and tokens to directly pay for their ride via a third-party platform, capable of digital transactions. The idea is being developed considering the fact that the regular passengers of HMRL include a young and tech-savvy crowd. Almost 55 per cent of the commuters use cards already. This will save time and effort for the rest of the 45 per cent commuters.” 

K Shrikanth Goud, the station controller of Ameerpet station, says, “If this idea is successfully put into action, it will help minimise the queues at the token counters, in addition to facilitating effective crowd management, especially during the peak hours. It will also reduce the burden of the employees at the token counters.” 

However, Sasidhar Kocharlakota, a regular metro commuter voices his apprehension. “While this idea sounds very attractive, what happens if a person’s phone crashes or the third-party app’s server is down? During peak hours, such issues will hold up the entire line.” Responding to this, Shrikanth Goud says, “These apprehensions are valid. A maintenance team needs to be ready at the beck and call of metro personnel. We already have a team to look into such issues. However, multiple teams on behalf the app developer or the third-party transaction platform will have to work together to tackle such concerns.” 


TAGS
HMRL

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp