KOCHI: A Call Centre functioning at the third floor of a four-storeyed office building at Jawahar Nagar in Kadavanthra caught fire here on Saturday, following a short circuit.
The office of Cascade Revenue Management was completely gutted in the incident. However, no casualty was reported as the office was closed for holiday.
According to an eye witness, the incident occurred at around 4.15 pm on Subhash Chandra Bose road, when he saw fumes drifting outwards from the third floor.
“I was about to visit a clinic in the second floor of the building. When I saw the fumes, I immediately alerted the employees of a private bank functioning at the ground floor, followed by the people at the first and second floors,” said Shameer, a local resident.
Two fire engines were pressed into action and it almost took nearly two hours to extinguish the fire. The loss has been calculated at `50 lakh.
“Around 50 computers, 44 UPS, furniture, and air conditioners were completely destroyed in the fire,” said a fire official of Gandhinagar Fire Station. Meanwhile, Kadavanthra police have registered a case, after taking the statement of the building owner.