Dark Days Continue for Leeba

Published: 25th September 2014 06:04 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th September 2014 06:04 AM   |  A+A-


KOCHI: On Wednesday, the members of joint action council formed for Leeba, the victim of Cheranelloor police atrocity, was getting constant calls. For there was a rumour doing rounds that she was no more and there would be hartal on Thursday. “Somebody is really trying hard to get rid of this issue,” said Cheranelloor panchayat member Mini. On the same day, five police men questioned her husband and family at the hospital. Haggard by the continuous questioning, she fainted.

Even after such a furore, the police did not cease to question her, lamented her brother, Lineesh.

The family is perplexed whether they should shift her to other hospital or to remain in the general hospital as they are yet to know the true nature of her injury. “We requested a medical certificate to submit in the court. But they gave accident register-cum-wound certificate. It just states that she had 3-4 brown scab formed abrasion in the right side of the abdomen and a brown scab formed abrasion on the left arm. After this initial report, there were many treatments undertaken. Why are they reluctant to document it,” asked Adv Dhanesh, Leeba’s lawyer.

Mini said that there was swelling formed on her souls from the continuous beating with Lathi. “The pus had to be squeezed out. The scars made of the lathis were clear on her abdomen. I was with her all the time. But they are reluctant to report what she told them at the outset,” said Mini. Incidentally, the hospital authorities had already admitted that Leeba was suffering from a spinal chord injury. Leeba’s head was tonsured as the pain became unbearable.

Lineesh said that at 8.30 pm on Monday, two people from the ACP’s office came to their house and informed that they had to be presented before the Cheranelloor police at 11 am on Tuesday. “They asked many unrelated questions like how did we collect the money to marry off my other sister. She was married eight years ago and Leeba started working in the doctor’s house just four months ago. One woman police even beat me asking why I told the media that I was hit on face by the police, earlier. The questioning which began at 11 am ended by 5 pm,” he said.

The family and the joint action council members said though they constantly asked the authorities to take action against the doctor and his family, it fell on deaf ears. General Hospital superintendent Dr Annie was unavailable to comment. Sources said the General Hospital does not have a neuro-surgeon. “There should be experts present when a controversial case such as this occurs,” they said.Leeba.jpg


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp